Q: What can students do at my company?
A: Students can perform , document management, internet research, IT support, event support, mass mailings, reception, and most entry-level office work. Students work in Accounting, Communications, Customer Service, Human Resources, Legal, Logistics, and Tax Departments. The wide range of Corporate Work Study Program partners allows students to be exposed to more diverse corporate work. Job descriptions vary by corporation.
Q: Are students trained to work?
A: Prior to the school-year, each student participates in a multi- week training program that helps them prepare for success in the classroom and in the work environment. During this summer training, students learn Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), attend communication seminars, and witness professional behavior modeling. The Cristo Rey staff works 1:1 with students to upgrade their skills while supervisors identify areas where students need additional training.
Q: Who monitors the student workers?
A: Each Corporate Work Study Program corporate partner provides a supervisor that manages Cristo Rey students and corresponds with CWSP staff to ensure productivity. CWSP staff visits each business site regularly to gather feedback and enforce student accountability. Each student is responsible for completing a daily time card (which includes an evaluative piece). Additionally, Corporate Work Study Program partners complete Semester-End Performance Reviews to rate students. Based on supervisor evaluations, today, 94% of Cristo Rey student workers “Meet or Exceed Expectations” of their supervisors.
Q: Do students choose where they work?
A: CWSP staff will consider students’ skill levels and interests and the skill sets needed by the Corporate Partners to determine where students are placed.
Q: As a corporate partner, what responsibilities will we have?
A: Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing a positive work environment for the students.
- Providing a supervisor who believes in the program and the success of the students.
- Provide meaningful work for the students and explain to them the importance of their role.
Q: If I have a problem with a student, do I deal with the student directly?
A: If there is ever an issue with a student in the workplace, you may deal with the student directly or you may contact the Corporate Work Study Program Office. Students may be replaced if there are any issues. In these rare cases, another student will be assigned.
Q: Why should a business participate in the program?
A: There are many reasons to participate:
- You will add productive, entry-level employees.
- Ensure cost-effective services for your business.
- Free up lower-level employees for more value-added work.
- Contribute to your workforce diversity.
- Students do not qualify as a headcount.
- Benefit your local community with an immediate payoff.
- Cristo Rey Fort Worth Corporate Work Study Program handles the administrative expenses.
- Develop a culture of community involvement among your employees.
Q: How do we become a Corporate Partner? A:
Sign a letter of intent indicating your commitment to hiring our students. Please contact our Corporate Work-Study Program Director, Amelie Ferro
or our Corporate Work-Study Associate Director, Tahirah Smith
for more information.